Physics home - General information
Welcome to the Department of Physics
The Department of Physics offers undergraduate programs including two related programs in physics-mathematics and computational physics. At the graduate level, both master's and doctorate programs provide to students the opportunity to pursue a stimulating career in research and development work. Physics is the gateway to multiple career options. Because of their broad training and adaptability, physicists end up in all sorts of interesting jobs.
Physics home - Recent news
- Professor Michel Godin receives the Early Researcher Award from the Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation!
- Professor Paul Corkum wins the prestigious OSA Ives Medal!
- Dr. Pawel Hawrylak is awarded an Honorary Doctorate at the University of Crete in 2014!
- Daniel Modulevsky, undergraduate student working in the Pelling Research Lab, receives the Presidential Scholar Award at the Microscopy & Microanalysis 2013 conference in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Physics student, Sebastien Rettie, wins the TRIUMF Award and heads to CERN in Switzerland!
- NOW AVAILABLE: Cours listings for 2013-2014
- The 2013 CAP Medal for Outstanding Achievement in Industrial and Applied Physics will be awarded to Xiaoyi Bao, University of Ottawa, for her remarkable technological advances in a number of areas.
- 2013 King Faisal Prize awarded to Professor Paul Corkum
- Professor Pelling is elected to the Global Young Academy.
- uOttawa Day! The physics department hosted visitors for lab tours and skygazing from the physics observatory! Some photos: 1(telescope) 2 (sun) 3 (solar flare). For more information, please contact Nikolay Shtinkov or Christian Gigault
- Professor Pelling gave a TED talk! TEDx-uOttawa and its Facebook page
- Congratulations to professor Gary W. Slater, University Research Chair in Biological Physics, who was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada
- Professor Pierre Berini (cross-appointed in Physics) has been inducted into the Canadian Academy of Engineering (CAE), the greatest honour bestowed to Canadian engineers. link
- The transit of venus in front of the sun was observed by members of our department. Video (Lukasz Andrzejewski)
- The Faculty of Science approves the renovation of the first year undergraduate labs and of the Physics Help Centre!
- Congratulations to Xiaoyi Bao for her election to the grade of Fellow of SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics.
- André Longtin receives a University Research Chair.
- Two researchers have won Discovery Accelerator Supplements: André Beauchemin (Chemistry) and Pierre Berini (Physic).
- Congratulations to Paul Corkum for winning uOttawa's Award for Excellence in Research.